Hi everyone! Hope your week is off to a good start! I’m linking up with Julia today over at Lord Still Loves Me for her Mental Health Monday Link up. Click here to see all the other awesome contributions!
Something I’ve been excited about lately is SPRING! I love the warmer temperature, more sun, looking forward to summer and getting to wear flip flops. The one funky thing about March is how it flips back and forth between cold and rainy and sunny and gorgeous. I know that my mood is heavily affected by the weather, so the constant flip-flopping can prove challenging to staying positive and motivated to get all my work done or just enjoying my days.
To remedy this, I’ve come up with a list of 5 small things you can do to make your day just a little bit brighter and happier. Keeping your day or week on a positive note doesn’t have to be difficult! Let me know in the comments what you do to keep your day on a positive note!
- Create a playlist of your happy songs. I have a mental list of about 5-10 songs that always make me happy and boost my mood. Listening to these songs always leaves me happier and adds a little sunshine to my day. If you have time, make a playlist on Spotify or iTunes and turn on the playlist when you need a quick little boost! Some current favorite of mine include “The Days” by Avicii, “So What” by P!nk, “You’re Such A” by Hailee Steinfeld, “Air Balloon” by Lily Allen, and “Pretty Girl Rock” by Keri Hilson. These songs always get my toes tapping and put a little bit of a spring in my step.
- Grab a cup of coffee and take a walk. Be it coffee, tea, water with lemon, or a freshly squeezed juice, sometimes it’s nice to take a break from work to take a minute and sip something. Go to your favorite coffee shop, pop a K-cup in your Keurig, whatever – and take your drink with you on the go. Getting outside for even a few minutes really boosts my mood and helps me be more productive in the long run.
- Wake up a few minutes early to watch the sunrise. Daylight’s savings time can really mess with my schedule. But the one really nice thing is that I’m almost always awake to watch the sunrise. My bed is right by a window, so I just crack open the blinds when I wake up. Taking a few minutes to sip some coffee and watch the sun come out is such a wonderful and calm way to start my day, and worth the few minutes of sleep that I miss by taking those 5 minutes to do something so healthy for my mind.
- Call or send a message to a friend. Sometimes we just need to reach out to others to give and share a little love. By reaching out to someone and asking how their day is going, you can take your mind at least momentarily off what is overwhelming you or stressing you out. Also, doing this has the potential to really help someone else and turn their day around. I know how happy I am when I receive a call or text from a friend that I haven’t heard from in awhile! Try it out and see what happens!
- Do something YOU love. You know that hobby you have that you just never seem to have time for? That book you’ve been wanting to read or that new running trail you’ve been wanting to try? Do it today. Even if you feel you don’t have the time, sometimes it’s worth waiting to do work to take some time for yourself. I’m not advocating that you shirk your responsibilities. But after a long and exhausting day, you need to do something that fulfills and replenishes your spirit. In the long run, I promise that you won’t regret it.
What is something that you love to do when you have the time?
Are you a fan of spring or do you have a different favorite season?